Recipe by blanks
I became determined to learn how to make these after trying one from an organic grocery/health food store, they are simply delicious and quite addictive. This recipe does not require vegan marshmallows as one might assume, which is great considering that that would be immensly expensive. I made these earlier today and there are only two squares left! Enjoy!
- 1 cup corn syrup or 1 cup brown rice syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla, if desired
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, vegan varieties are fairly easy to find
- 6 cups puffed rice cereal or 6 cups corn flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugar, vanilla and corn/brown rice syrup in a pot, stir over medium heat until the mixture is just beginning to boil.
- Remove from heat, stir in peanut butter, followed by cereal. The mixture will get quite dense, but if you use any less cereal the bars will turn out quite chewy.
- Spread the mixture out onto a baking pan.
- Melt chocolate using a double boiler or microwave and spread evenly over top.
- Refrigerate until set. (when chocolate has hardened, about an hour or two).