1 hr 5 mins
This is an adaption of a recipe from vegweb.com. You can substitute dairy for the soymilk and egg substitute with equally successful results.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup fresh pumpkin puree or 1 cup solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar or 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 eggs or 1 egg substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups flour (can substitute half whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1/4-1/2 cup plain soymilk or 1/4-1/2 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil and flour a standard loaf pan and set aside.
- 2Mix together pumpkin, oil, sugars, egg or egg substitute and vanilla. Sift together spices, salt, baking soda, baking powder and flour. Stir into pumpkin mixture. Add (soy)milk until batter is smooth and easy to stir. (Typically, you'll need more milk if you used solid-pack pumpkin, and less if you've used fresh puree or substituted maple syrup for the white sugar.).
- 3Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds, if desired. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan 10 minutes.
- 4Invert pan onto a wire rack. Flip loaf right-side-up and allow to rest for at least half a day. (This allows the bread to moisten up nicely, and is particularly important if you made the vegan version--the crust will be chewy and the interior gummy if you do not let it sit.) Slice and serve.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan (Or Not) Pumpkin Bread
Serving Size: 1 (73 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 241.8
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 21.1 mg
- Sodium 235.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 15.9 g
- Protein 2.9 g