Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Filling vegan burgers that stick together well!
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein
- 1⁄4 cup quick-cooking rolled oats (not instant)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried garlic flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon smooth peanut butter
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
- Place first eight ingredients in a mixing bowl and toss them together.
- Pour the hot water into a small mixing bowl and add the ketchup and soy sauce and stir it up. Add the liquid to the textured vegetable protein, stir until well combined and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the peanut butter and mix until it is well incorporated. Then stir in the whole wheat flour (and nutritional yeast, if desired) and mix thoroughly.
- Shape the mixture into 4 flat, equal patties and keep them on wax paper.
- Coat a large skillet with a bit of canola oil over medium heat. When hot add patties and reduce heat to medium-low to slowly brown the patties (about 6 to eight minutes each side).