Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This gravy is very popular around our house, with its mix of vegans and non-vegans. I found the recipe on a Tofurkey box which creditted the recipe to Louise Hagler from Tofu Cookery.
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms (button, shitake or portabella)
- 1⁄4 cup diced onion
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached white flour
- 4 cups stock or 4 cups vegetable bouillon or 4 cups soymilk
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional, to taste)
- Lightly saute the sliced mushrooms and onion in 1 ans 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil until onion softens.
- In another pan combine 2 tablespoons olive oil and the flour and bubble over low heat for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the stock, bouillon, or soymilk along with the soy sauce and pepper.
- Cook and stir until thickened, whisking out any lumps.
- Stir in the mushrooms and onion.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.