Recipe by Ex-Pat Mama
Taken from heavenlybaking.wordpress.com I changed the recipe slightly to include egg replacer powder and so that it could be made in the Thermomix.
- 250 ml soymilk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 lemons
- 75 ml vegetable oil
- 200 g sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegan egg replacer powder
- 250 g all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 75 g sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Turn on the oven to 180ºC. Line a loaf pan (mine is 9"x5"x3") with baking paper.
- Pour the soy milk and vinegar together. Allow it time to sit and curdle - this is vital for making the cake rise properly.
- Take the lemons and roll them on a cutting board - this loosens up the delicious juice inside. Zest both lemons into a small bowl. Add the juice of one lemon to the zest. Reserve the juice of the other lemon for later - it will be used for the drizzle icing.
- Place the oil and sugar in the TM bowl. Add the tablespoon of egg replacer powder to the curdled soy milk. Whisk to combine.
- Pour the lemon juice with zest and the curdled milk mixture into the TM bowl. Mix 10 seconds/speed 5. Check to make sure the sugar has dissolved, if not mix again for a few seconds.
- Add the flour to TM bowl. Mix 10 seconds/speed 4.
- Scrape down sides, add the baking powder and mix 10 seconds/speed 4.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 40-50 minutes or until golden brown. DON'T remove from pan yet.
- In a small bowl mix the remaining lemon juice and the 75 grams sugar. Using a toothpick make tiny holes all over the top of the cake. Pour the lemon/sugar mixture over all and allow to sink inches Leave the cake in the pan for 25 minutes.
- Remove to a serving plate and allow to continue to cool.