1 hr 27 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This recipe is from vegweb.com. I was pleasantly surprised as to how wonderful these turned out. Made them for my vegan boss for Bosses' Day for a nice fall treat. I upped the amount of fat and milk listed on the recipe because I ended up with sand instead of dough. The dough seems to be very "fixable," so if the dough isn't coming together for you, adjust fat, liquid, and leavening accordingly until you come up with the right consistency. Please do not leave me a negative rating because of this - when I followed the recipe as-is from the website, I had to adjust it - you may have to as well depending on your ingredients, kitchen temperature, climate. Regardless, these are delicious! Oh, and some were flatter than others - the slices that came to room temperature before baking turned out nicer than the ones put in the oven still cold. Thus, be sure to not skip the chilling and resting times.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon clove
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening, you could also use a vegan margarine (I used Spectrum)
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 3 tablespoons nondairy milk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1Whisk together dry ingredients in small bowl.
- 2In large bowl, beat shortening and sugar together.
- 3Beat in molasses.
- 4Beat in milk and vanilla.
- 5Gradually beat in flour mixture.
- 6It should be a barely crumbly mixture that is able to be pressed together.
- 7Press into ball and turn out onto sheet of plastic wrap.
- 8Make a cylinder shape with the dough that you will be able to slice into rounds later, wrap tight, and chill at least an hour.
- 9Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 10Remove from plastic wrap and slice into 1/4 inch rounds using a sharp knife.
- 11Arrange about an inch apart onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. If you are not using parchment paper, be sure to grease the cookie sheets.
- 12Arrange rounds on cookie sheet and/or parchment paper sheets, and allow to come to room temperature, about 15 minutes.
- 13Bake for 12 minutes. I baked each batch for 12 minutes exactly and that was the perfect time - just keep an eye on them. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Gingerbread Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (29 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 143.6
- Calories from Fat 78
- Total Fat 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.2 mg
- Sodium 123.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 9.4 g
- Protein 0.9 g