Prep 45 mins
Cook 28 mins
I got this recipe from my new cookie cookbook called "Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar" and they came out addictive and delicious! The only thing I changed in the recipe is that I used all whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose, but you can use either. They aren't really sweet so not for everyone, but I love the spicy flavor--the only problem is that I eat way too many of them! p.s. the longer you let them sit before baking, the more delicious they get!
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup strong black coffee, cooled to room temp
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 2⁄3 cup sugar, plus additional for sprinkling
- 2 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- finely ground black pepper, 1 generous pinch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dark raisin (be generous)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, coffee, molasses, and sugar until thick.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, black pepper, and salt. Fold in the dry ingredients till almost completely moistened, then fold in the raisins till a soft dough forms.
- Chill the dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- After dough is chilled lightly moisten hands and divide dough in half. Make it into two logs about 13 inches long and 3 1/2 inches wide.
- Sprinkle the tops with sugar.
- Bake 24 to 26 minutes till edges are lightly browned and the logs feel firm. Its okay if they crack.
- Cool 15 minutes.
- Cut the logs into approximately 2 inch slices (or however you like them).
- Cool on wire racks.