Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
from Whole Foods
Make and share this Vegan Butternut Squash Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 158.51 ml yellow onion, chopped
- 907.18 g butternut squash, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 382.71 g can coconut milk
- salt & pepper
- 14.79 ml ground sage
- 177.44 ml whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 118.29 ml walnuts, chopped
- 118.29 ml breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly oil 9" x 13" baking dish.
- Heat oil in medium pot/large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook until softened, 5-7 minutes.
- Add squash, coconut milk, salt & pepper and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium low for 20 minutes. In separate pot, cook macaroni al dente (~5 minutes).
- Add in sage to butternut squash mixture and cook 1 more minute. Mash some, but not all, of the squash pieces.
- Combine squash mixture, macaroni, and walnuts.
- Transfer to greased baking dish and top with bread crumbs.
- Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
Delicious!!!! Even with minor modifications, this is a fabulous recipe. I used 1 butternut squash and 1 acorn squash peeled and sliced in food processor; 2 ladels of hot water and a splash of soy milk was added to the coconut milk; 2 cups of whole wheat rigitoni; and pakno breadcrumbs. Yum, yum, yum!!!