Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Thick, rich and flavorful! You won't miss the beef at all!
- 6 tablespoons fine barley, uncooked
- 6 cups vegan vegetable stock
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large carrot, scrubbed and sliced into rounds
- 1 medium parsnip, scraped and cut into rounds
- 1 large yellow potato, chopped
- 1 (32 ounce) canof organic tomatoes with juice (crushed or diced)
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 head mustard greens (or cress, whatever) or 1 head kale, roughly chopped (or cress, whatever)
- 4 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos
- Rinse barley breifly in a fine mesh strainer and throw the barley in a pot. Cover it with 3 to 4 cups of water and boil.
- Meanwhile, wash and cut veggies.
- When barley has finished, drain it in the mesh strainer, but do not rinse it.
- Add veggies to the pot along with vegetable stock and garlic. Boil until veggies are begining to get tender (30 - 40 minutes).
- Add tomatoes, barley, ground pepper and greens and bring to a boil.
- When greens have wilted, removed from heat. Just before eating, stir in Bragg's liquid aminos.
This was wonderful! I actually cheated and just threw all the ingredients into the pot and boiled them together for about 35 minutes to perfection. I did add extra water and some general no salt seasoning. I also subbed out kholrabi for the parsnip and potato - they were wonderful in here and I think that any of the turnip family would be a great addition to this "stew" type soup. Thanks for sharing!!!