Recipe by ShelleyGirl13
I have not tried this as of yet. This recipie comes from Martha Stewart. I guessed on the Prep Time but the cooking time is accurate.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb lean veal shoulder, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 20 shallots, peeled and left whole
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups homemade chicken stock or 1 1⁄2 cups canned low sodium chicken broth, skimmed of fat
- 8 fresh sage leaves
- 2 large fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 4 ounces button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces oysters or 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season veal with salt and pepper, and saute quickly, stirring to brown the pieces on all sides. Put into a platter.
- Reduce heat to medium, add shallots and 3 tablespoons water, saute until water has evaporated, about 1 minute. Add garlic and flour, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute longer. Add wine and simmer for 2 minutes. Add stock, the veal with any juices from platter, sage, and thyme, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat so that stew is barely simmering, cover, and cook for 30 minutes. Add potatoes, cover, and cook for 25 minutes longer, or until meat and potatoes are tender.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add mushrooms, and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes (if mushrooms stick to the pan, add a tablespoon of water). Add mushrooms to the stew, and stir briefly. Just before serving, remove the thyme sprigs, and stir in chives.