Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is an authentic German recipe that I wrote down a few years ago. I think it's from a German baking magazine. They are a must here in Germany. Very nice at Christmas. My kids gobble them up almost as fast as I make them. Try them, you won't be disappointed. Prep time does not include chilling time.
- Cut the vanilla beans lenthwise and scrape out the cream.
- Mix the vanilla cream together with the sugar.
- Sift flour and add salt, cut in butter, 70g of the homemade vanilla sugar and the almonds.
- Work to form a smooth dough.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 175°C or 350°F (only approx.) Roll the dough into a long sausage, approximately 1 cm (1/2") thick.
- Cut off every 7 cm (3") and bend to form a half-moon.
- Bake on a parchment paper lined baking sheet at 175°C for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Carefully remove the Kipferln from the baking sheet.
- While still warm roll in remaining vanilla sugar.
- Let cool.
- Sprinkle with sifted icing sugar.