Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise,seeds scraped
- 1⁄2 cinnamon stick
- 1 pinch salt
- 8 small ripe peaches
- vanilla ice cream or coconut sorbet, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar with the water, vanilla bean and scrapings, cinnamon stick and salt.
- Cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until the sugar dissolves.
- Pour the syrup into a large baking dish.
- Arrange the peaches in the syrup, cut side up, and bake for 30 minutes, basting frequently.
- Spoon the peaches and syrup into bowls and serve warm with ice cream.