Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Simple, uncomplicated, middle-American fare.
- 1 large graham cracker crust
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups whole milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- fresh whipped cream
- ground nutmeg (optional)
- Prebake crust according to package directions; let cool.
- In a saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt; whisk in milk and egg yolks.
- Place over medium heat and cook, whisking nonstop, until mixture starts to thicken and comes to a low boil, 5-7 minutes.
- Continue to whisk and heat until quite thick, about 1 ½ minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in butter, one piece at a time, and the vanilla.
- Immediately pour filling into cooled pie shell; set aside on a wire rack; gently press a piece of plastic wrap directly against the filling, leaving no gaps or air pockets, to prevent a skin from forming.
- Let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Shortly before serving, smooth the whipped cream generously over the pie; dust with nutmeg, if desired, and serve.