Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
From the Magnolia Bakery. Makes enough for a 2-layer 9-inch cake or 2 dozen cupcakes
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 6 -8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Place the butter in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in 4 cups sugar, then the milk and vanilla.
- On medium speed of an electric mixer, beat about 3-5 minutes or until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well (about 2 minutes) after each addition, until the icing is thick enough for good spreading consistency (you may not need all of the sugar).
- If desired, add a few drops of food coloring and mix thoroughly.
- Use and store the icing at room temperature because icing will set if chilled.
- The icing can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- **If making a 3-layer cake, use the following proportions: 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, 8-10 cups confectioner's sugar, 3/4 cup milk, and 1 tablespoon vanilla extract.
Very simple and held up well. I substituted lemon juice for the milk for a very lemony icing, and it was great. Much simpler than the double boiler/egg varieties.
YUMMY! I could eat this entire batch straight from the mixer! I suggest adding seeds from 1 to 2 vanilla pods for a natural vanilla flavor.
This was a wonderful, simple buttercream! Thanks!