- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 6 -8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the butter in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in 4 cups sugar, then the milk and vanilla.
- On medium speed of an electric mixer, beat about 3-5 minutes or until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well (about 2 minutes) after each addition, until the icing is thick enough for good spreading consistency (you may not need all of the sugar).
- If desired, add a few drops of food coloring and mix thoroughly.
- Use and store the icing at room temperature because icing will set if chilled.
- The icing can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- **If making a 3-layer cake, use the following proportions: 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, 8-10 cups confectioner's sugar, 3/4 cup milk, and 1 tablespoon vanilla extract.