Recipe by Pets'R'us
These are fun to make, also with the kids, and make a nice gift! Fridge and drying time not included.
- 2 ounces icing sugar
- 2 ounces caster sugar
- 4 ounces ground almonds
- 4 ounces full-fat sweetened condensed milk
- 3 -5 drops red food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- You will also need: one small and one very small heart-shaped cutter.
- Sift the icing sugar in a bowl, add the caster and the almonds, mix well.
- Make a hollow and add the condensed milk, mix with a spoon first then use your hands, mix until smooth.
- Divide in half and add food color to one batch mixing the color well.
- Wrap both in plastic and put in the fridge for half an hour.
- Sprinkle icing sugar on a clean work surface, roll out the pink almond dough until approx 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut out hearts with the larger cutter, re-using and cutting the scraps, use more icing sugar if needed.
- Then use the small cutter to cutout hearts from the middles of the big hearts, I use a blunt stick to push the small hearts out of the cutter.
- Do the same with the un-colored almond dough and try to get the same number of hearts.
- Gently push the small cream hearts in the big pink ones and pink in the cream ones.
- Smooth or flatten if needed.
- Line a baking sheet with some parchment paper and put the hearts on there to dry overnight.
- Store in an airtight tin.