Recipe by Vseward (Chef~V)
This is the best valentine cake from TOH, everyone has raved when I make this as they feel extra special. This is a scrumptious filled chocolate heart with berries and cream.
- 8 (1 ounce) semi-sweet chocolate baking squares
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh strawberries, halved
- 1 drop red food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a 9-in. heart-shaped or square baking pan with foil; set aside. In a large heavy saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Pour into prepared pan, swirling to coat the bottom and 1-1/2 inches up the sides.
- Refrigerate for 1 minute, then swirl the chocolate to reinforce sides of heart or box. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm. Using foil, lift from pan; remove foil and place chocolate heart on a serving plate.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Combine confectioners' sugar and cocoa; add to creamed mixture with milk and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Add 1 drop of red food coloring if you want a pink tint to the top.
- Gently fold two-thirds of the whipped cream into cream cheese mixture. Spoon into heart. Insert star tip #32 into a pastry or plastic bag; fill with the remaining whipped cream. Pipe around the edge of heart. Garnish with strawberries.