English Scones With Mixed Summer Berries and Cream
- Ready In:
- 500 g plain white flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 75 g caster sugar
- 30 g baking powder
- 75 g butter, softened
- 230 ml milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 150 g semi-dried berries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, bilberries and cherries
- 1 egg, beaten, for egg wash
- golden caster sugar, for glaze
- jam and cream, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/gas 6. Grease a baking sheet.
- Sieve the flour into the bowl of a food mixer and add the eggs, sugar, baking powder, butter, vanilla extract and milk. Using a paddle blade, mix for about 2 minutes on slow speed.
- Add the dried mixed berries and mix until evenly combined. If the mixture is a little sticky, add more flour or more milk if it is too dry - you want a soft dough, but not sticky.
- (You can make these by hand too - put the flour, sugar and baking powder into a large bowl, then rub in the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs, add the eggs, milk and vanilla extract, mix well. Add the dried berries, mix again.).
- Transfer the mixture to a lightly floured work surface. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out to a thickness of 3/4" or 5cm. Gently cut the dough into rounds using a pastry cutter.
- Transfer the scones to the prepared baking sheet and brush with the egg wash, and then sprinkle liberally with golden caster sugar for the glaze.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until risen and golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool a little. Serve warm with butter or jam and cream.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation