Prep 2 mins
Cook 25 mins
Recipe from First Magazine 11/3/08.. . .quick to make. You can certainly make this vegetarian (and vegan) by using veggie broth in place of the chicken broth.
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 cup diced fennel
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced peeled potato
- 3 (12 ounce) jars roasted red peppers, drained
- 1 cup vegetable juice
- In a saucepot over medium heat, cook first 5 ingredients for 15 minutes.
- Assuming potatoes are soft, puree the mixture in a blender. Add red peppers and puree again til smooth.
- Return the pureed mixture to the saucepot and stir in the juice. Cook for 5 minutes til warm.
- Serve with a triangle of garlic toast on top!
I enjoyed this recipe, but next time I will use just oregano and basil, garlic, etc. for the Italian seasoning. The bottle of commercially prepared Italian seas. had way too much thyme, and it's kind of dominating the flavor. Right now it tastes more like beef stew than soup! My fault. I should have known. I will make this again with the changes above. I am going to make beer bread to go with it.
Delicious soup! I made this as directed and used V8 for the vegetable juice. After pureeing I had a beautiful red soup that tasted delicious! Is pureed with my hand blender which may have gotten more air in the soup than normal. No biggie but if I had let it sit for a bit it would have settled into a richer color bc the air would have dissipated more. Thank you for a fantastic soup JB! *Made for veggie tag*