Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
The title says it all...we make this every time our rhubarb is ready to be picked...many times each summer and it's gone before it's even cooled!
- Combine rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, and tapioca in large bowl.
- Let mixture sit for 20 minutes at room temperature to dissolve sugar and tapioca.
- Stir every few minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450 and put pie crust in pie tin.
- After sitting time, add nutmeg, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and lemon juice to mixture.
- Stir well and put into crust, draining excess liquid.
- Dot top of mixture with pats of butter then place crust on top and seal edges.
- Place a cookie sheet under pie to catch drips.
- Bake at 450 for 30 minutes, then 425 for another 30 minutes, then 350 for 15 minutes or until done.
- You might have to cover edges of crust with foil or a pie guard to prevent crust from burning- Will thicken as it cools.
We loved this pie. The only complaint I had is that is was kind of weepy. The flavor was great though. Have made it three times. I think that next time I will increase the tapioca to 6 tablespoons and see if it helped. My son-in-law said it was the best he has ever had. Thanks for sharing.
Yummy!!! I cooked the filling in the microwave and then added it to the crust and adjusted the baking time. Worked great!!
We loved the taste, however I had to adjust the cooking times as my crust came out too well done.