Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
The title says it all...we make this every time our rhubarb is ready to be picked...many times each summer and it's gone before it's even cooled!
- Combine rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, and tapioca in large bowl.
- Let mixture sit for 20 minutes at room temperature to dissolve sugar and tapioca.
- Stir every few minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450 and put pie crust in pie tin.
- After sitting time, add nutmeg, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and lemon juice to mixture.
- Stir well and put into crust, draining excess liquid.
- Dot top of mixture with pats of butter then place crust on top and seal edges.
- Place a cookie sheet under pie to catch drips.
- Bake at 450 for 30 minutes, then 425 for another 30 minutes, then 350 for 15 minutes or until done.
- You might have to cover edges of crust with foil or a pie guard to prevent crust from burning- Will thicken as it cools.
We loved this pie. The only complaint I had is that is was kind of weepy. The flavor was great though. Have made it three times. I think that next time I will increase the tapioca to 6 tablespoons and see if it helped. My son-in-law said it was the best he has ever had. Thanks for sharing.
Yummy!!! I cooked the filling in the microwave and then added it to the crust and adjusted the baking time. Worked great!!
We loved the taste, however I had to adjust the cooking times as my crust came out too well done.