Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
Collard greens come to the city. Hopefully they will bring you fortune in the New Year.
- 7 lbs fresh collard greens
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chablis or 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon bacon drippings
- 1 small sweet red pepper, diced
- Remove stems from collard greens.
- Wash leaves thoroughly (the hardest step).
- Cut leaves into 1-inch strips; set aside.
- Put onion quarters in food processor; process until smooth.
- Combine onion and next 4 ingredients in a large pot; bring to a boil.
- Add collard greens and red pepper; cover and cook on medium for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until greens are tender.
- Add additional water if necessary; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Went on travel to Washington, D.C. and found these collards in a very "uptown" style restaurant. Looked everywhere for the recipe. Very delicious.
These were colorful, not loaded with fat and infused with lots of flavor. Next time I'll leave out the sugar - didn't care for the sweetness. Love the recipe name.