This is from an old booklet put out by the Walla Walla Gardeners Association. Walla Walla is in SW Washington state. On recommendations from other chefs, I changed the amount of onions used from 6 to 4.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 8x8x2-inch square baking pan.
- In a skillet, melt butter and saute onions until soft and beggining to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Spoon evenly into bottom of baking pan.
- Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Cut in shortening until well blended.
- Beat egg and milk together and mix with dry ingredients until just blended.
- Pour batter over onions.
- Bake 25-30 minutes.
- Turn out onto serving plate; cut into squares. Serve hot.
What a wonderful recipe for cornbread! This is so special and yummy, mmm! The texture is very fluffy and grainy, just like a good cornbread should be. Its crusty on the outside and has a lovely sweet oniony taste. YUM!
I used home made applesauce in place of the shortening, left out the sugar and reduced the salt to 1/4 ts. It came out fantastic and Ill definitely make this again. I especially loved the upside down idea! :)
Made and reviewed for Went to the Market Tag Game September 2011.
wowser this was awesome i used only 2 onions .it smells divine everyone that likes cornbread should try this
This was just ok for me. Even my husband who LOVESSSSSSS cornbread wasn't too thrilled. Maybe next time I'd incorporate the onions "in" the batter. Thanks!