1/3 Photos of Upside Down Walla Walla Onion Cornbread
This is from an old booklet put out by the Walla Walla Gardeners Association. Walla Walla is in SW Washington state. On recommendations from other chefs, I changed the amount of onions used from 6 to 4.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Butter a 8x8x2-inch square baking pan.
- 3In a skillet, melt butter and saute onions until soft and beggining to brown, about 10 minutes.
- 4Spoon evenly into bottom of baking pan.
- 5Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Cut in shortening until well blended.
- 6Beat egg and milk together and mix with dry ingredients until just blended.
- 7Pour batter over onions.
- 8Bake 25-30 minutes.
- 9Turn out onto serving plate; cut into squares. Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Upside Down Walla Walla Onion Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (126 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 257.0
- Calories from Fat 122
- Total Fat 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 34.6 mg
- Sodium 441.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 4.7 g