Vidalia Onion Cornbread
This came from Paula Deen's show, Paula's Home Cooking. It is very good. It has a different taste than just regular cornbread.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 large vidalia onions, chopped or 1 large other sweet onion
- 8 ounces cornbread-muffin mix (I used Jiffy)
- 1 beaten egg
- 1⁄3 cup whole milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried dill weed
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Spray a 8-inch bakinf pan with vegetable oil cooking spray. (I used a muffin pan.).
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and saute the onions until tender, but not browned, for about 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and add the muffin mix, milk, egg, sour cream, 1/2 cup of the cheese, the salt, and dill weed. Stir to combine. Pour into the prepared pan and top with the 1/2 cup remaining cheese. Bake for 30 minutes, until set and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly before cutting into squares.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
loved this! I had a package of cornbread mix in my cupboard for a long time and I was looking for a recipe to use it up, I also added in a jalapeno pepper and 3 cloves of minced garlic when frying the onions, I had a piece and sent the rest home with my DS who loves cornbread, thanks for sharing mightro!
This was just an AWESOME cornbread! Made with some spicy jalepeno dishes, and it was just the perfect accompaniment for mopping up the juices. I used buttermilk instead of full fat and a mix of jack and sharp cheddar. This is now DH's FAVORITE cornbread. Thanks for a new keeper mightyro :) Made for PAC Spring 2009!