Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a favorite of my DH, and even I like it now and then (I'm not a huge fan of meatloaf). The brown sugar makes a crispy topping that is delicious. Serve with mashed potatoes, peas, and carrots.
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 1⁄4 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1 3⁄4 cups oats
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Lightly grease a 5x9-inch loaf pan.
- On the bottom of the pan, press brown sugar, then spread the ketchup over the sugar.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine remaining ingredients.
- Make loaf out of mixture and place it carefully on top of the sugar/ketchup mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until juice runs clear.
It was good. I did use extra lean ground beef and thought that it was a little dry. Maybe using just regular ground beef would make it juicier? Or doubling the sauce (which was really tasty!)?