Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
- 1 cup bisquik reduced-fat baking mix
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 2⁄3 cups hot tap water
- Mix bisquik, 1/2 c sugar, 3 T unsweetened cocoa, milk and vanilla.
- Spoon batter evenly into greased crockpot.
- Mix remaining sugar, 1/3 c cocoa and hot tap water and pour over the batter in the crockpot.
- Do not stir.
- Cook on HIGH 2-2 1/2 hours or until batter no longer looks shiny on top.
- DO NOT OVERCOOK.
- The batter rises to the top like a cake and there is a rich chocolate pudding underneath.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
This recipe was not sweet enough and kind of turned out bland tasting. I love the idea of the crock pot cake & pudding underneath and it smelled so good while cooking, but my family was disappointed with the taste. I plan to look for a variation on this crockpot cake idea that would turn out a nice taste.
I tried this because I absolutely adore upsidedown chocolate pudding. My grandmother made it for me a lot as a kid. I thought this would be a nice way to free up my oven and still make a nice dessert by making it in the crock pot. However, mine was done well before the time mentioned here. I think an hour would have been plenty. Was really glad I checked at 1.5 hours. It was very very bland and the sauce didn't turn out as it should. I gave 2 stars for how easy it is to throw together and minimal ingredients required. Will be looking elsewhere for a better version.
Wonderful!! A chocoholic's dream recipe! Warm cake brownie type top layer with a chocolate mousse flavored pudding underneath. This isnt a overly sweet recipe. Reminds me of a mild Hershey's Dark Special candy bar. There is enough sweetness but just a bit of bitter in there too. This would be a awesome dinner party dessert with real vanilla ice cream or whipped cream sprinkled with cocoa powder. Petcanu, awesome recipe!!