Recipe by UnknownChef86
This delightfully old-fashioned apple cake is wonderful topped with a dollop or two of fresh whipped cream or the accompanying frosting. I got this recipe years ago from a elderly woman (in her 90's) at my mom's VFW center.
Top Review by Chef TanyaW
I'm rating a very similar cake I had at a party... I'll probably add the modified recipe later. For now, here's my digital backup. I use 1 tsp salt and only 4 cups of shredded apples and 2 teaspoons cinnamon. Great cake and delicious sauce! My cooking instructions are for 35-40 minutes. Thanks!
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 6 cups chopped baking apples (Granny Smith or equivalent)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- grated nuts, to garnish (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Cake: Prepare a 9x13" pan by greasing the bottom, lining the bottom with waxed paper, then greasing it again; set aside.
- Beat eggs; add sugar and cream well, then add the vanilla.
- Sift together the flour, soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add alternately with the oil.
- Stir in the apples and nuts.
- Pour into the prepared 9x13" pan.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour.
- Let cool 10 minutes, then remove from pan, peeling off the waxed paper.
- Let cool completely, then coat with frosting or top with whipped cream, sprinkling with grated nuts if desired.
- Frosting: Beat all ingredients til creamy.