Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is an old Newfoundland recipe.Prep time does not include soaking beans over night. We serve this with boiled potatoes and bread.
- 1 (1 lb) bag navy beans
- 3 medium cooking onions, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) carton molasses (plus equal amount of water)
- 1 (6 ounce) package pork fat, back chopped
- soak beans over night in water.
- drain beans, put into large sauce pan cover with water and boil for 1 hour.
- drain beans, put beans into cast iron pot.
- mix in other ingredients.
- bake for 1 1/2 hours @350 degrees.
- check and stir occasionally.