Cook1 hr 30 mins
By far the best tasting chili I've ever had! Easy to make and easy on the wallet. Sometimes I only add the one pound of ground beef and a extra can of beans to replace the sausage. And of course serve it with cornbread! Tip: If you don't like the acidy flavor/effect the canned tomatoes give off, when the chili (or any other tomato based sauce like spaghetti) is boiling, stir in a half teaspoon of baking soda. It'll bubble and foam up for a minute then disappear. It'll magically remove it. For me, it's a must!
- olive oil, for saute
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jalapenos, chopped (optional)
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 (15 ounce) cans beans
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- brown and drain meat and remove from the pan.
- saute onion, green pepper with garlic.
- add in japalenos, chili powder, cumin salt and sugar.
- when translucent, add the meat back in the pan.
- then add in beans, chopped tomato, tomato paste, chicken broth, cilantro and parsley.
- mix well and cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- Garnish with the usuals: cilantro, minced onion, sour cream or plain yogurt, and shredded cheese, if you'd like!