Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
I have been cooking this recipe for more than 14 years. A nice and hearty meat and vegetable combination.
- 1 lb beef kidney
- 1 lb round steak
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried sweet basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup sliced button mushroom
- 1 cup frozen baby peas
- 1 can biscuit dough, used for pie crust
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut kidney in half; remove fat, tubes and membranes and discard.
- Soak kidney in salted water for 2 hours.
- Trim fat from steak and discard.
- Cut steak and kidney into 1 inch cubes.
- Dredge in flour.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil on medium-high.
- Add kidney and steak and fry until brown on all sides.
- Add onion; cook until soft but not brown.
- Add boiling water, enough to cover the meat.
- Add salt, pepper, basil and Worcestershire sauce; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Stir in mushrooms and peas.
- Pour contents into a 9" x 9" oven-proof casserole dish.
- Cover with a biscuit dough crust.
- Bake in preheated 400 F oven for 20 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.
- Serve while hot.