Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
An excellent veggie borscht, low in calories, fat and cholesterol.
Make and share this Uncle Bill's Simple Vegetable Borscht recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 small sweet red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup thinly shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup thinly shredded red cabbage
- 1 medium beet, peeled and grated
- 6 cups water
- 6 cups vegetable broth or 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed 1/2 inch
- 3 1⁄2 fluid ounces tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 cup cauliflower floret (or more if desired)
- 1 large celery rib, chopped small
- 1 medium red apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- In a large frying pan, melt margarine over medium heat.
- Add chopped onions, grated carrots, diced green and red peppers and saute' for 5 minutes.
- Stir in green and red shredded cabbage, grated beet and saute' for 10 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- Transfer sautéed vegetables to a large cooking pot.
- Add water, vegetable broth, cubed potatoes, tomato paste, chopped garlic, bay leaf, crushed peppercorns and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cauliflower florets, chopped celery, diced apple, paprika, soy sauce, dill weed and lemon juice and simmer covered for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Let borscht sit for 15 minutes before serving.
- Refrigerate any unused portion.
Uncle Bill, thanks so much for this delicious recipe. I used onions, carrots, peppers, cabbage, beets and potatoes fresh from my garden! I didn't have any red cabbage, celery, cauliflower or dill, ,but did have a bunch of beets and used them all. I'm sure this soup will be even better with all the required ingredients, but for now it is the best soup I have ever made because I grew all of it! Thanks again.
This was my first time to have or make borscht, and it was delicious! It also smelled wonderful while it was cooking. I really enjoyed all the vegetables and spices together. Thanks for sharing this recipe! Also, that's a great picture on your About Me page!