Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
An excellent veggie borscht, low in calories, fat and cholesterol.
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 small sweet red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup thinly shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup thinly shredded red cabbage
- 1 medium beet, peeled and grated
- 6 cups water
- 6 cups vegetable broth or 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed 1/2 inch
- 3 1⁄2 fluid ounces tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 cup cauliflower floret (or more if desired)
- 1 large celery rib, chopped small
- 1 medium red apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- In a large frying pan, melt margarine over medium heat.
- Add chopped onions, grated carrots, diced green and red peppers and saute' for 5 minutes.
- Stir in green and red shredded cabbage, grated beet and saute' for 10 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- Transfer sautéed vegetables to a large cooking pot.
- Add water, vegetable broth, cubed potatoes, tomato paste, chopped garlic, bay leaf, crushed peppercorns and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cauliflower florets, chopped celery, diced apple, paprika, soy sauce, dill weed and lemon juice and simmer covered for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Let borscht sit for 15 minutes before serving.
- Refrigerate any unused portion.
Uncle Bill, thanks so much for this delicious recipe. I used onions, carrots, peppers, cabbage, beets and potatoes fresh from my garden! I didn't have any red cabbage, celery, cauliflower or dill, ,but did have a bunch of beets and used them all. I'm sure this soup will be even better with all the required ingredients, but for now it is the best soup I have ever made because I grew all of it! Thanks again.
This was my first time to have or make borscht, and it was delicious! It also smelled wonderful while it was cooking. I really enjoyed all the vegetables and spices together. Thanks for sharing this recipe! Also, that's a great picture on your About Me page!