Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Warm weather is now upon us and this open faced sandwich is easy to make, tasty and healthy for you. Eat one or two of these delightful sandwiches with your dinner or just as a soup and sandwich meal.
- 4 crispy lettuce wraps
- 1⁄2 cup chopped small fresh spinach leaves
- 3⁄4 cup chopped small cooked chicken breast
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated carrot
- 1⁄4 cup grated cauliflower
- 1⁄4 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped small red onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped small celery
- 1⁄2 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped small cucumber
- 1⁄2 cup sliced black olives
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 3⁄8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- Crispy wraps are purchased already washed and ready to use.
- In a large bowl, add spinach, chicken, carrot, cauliflower, sweet red pepper, onion, celery, chick peas, black olives, tomato, salt and black pepper; toss to mix well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil and cider vinegar.
- Pour dressing over the filling mixture and toss lightly to coat well.
- Divide mixture evenly into 4 equal amounts.
- Spoon into four crispy wraps.
- Sprinkle grated cheese over each crispy wrap.
- You may pick up the open sandwich wrap and eat it or cut into pieces if this suits you best.
- NOTE: You can also use red kidney beans instead of chick peas.
- You can also use canned solid tuna preserved in water instead of chicken.
- You may also make a dressing using 1/2 cup of mayonnaise and 1 teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Adjust the amount of dressing you use to suit your taste.
- SECOND NOTE:.
- CRISPY WRAPS are the newest grown lettuce, a cross between Romaine Lettuce and Iceberg lettuce. You can use Romaine Hearts if you are not able to get CRISPY WRAPS as they are sold by that name.
- If using Romaine Hearts, just break or cut off the heavy stem and use only the tender leaves as the wrap. These tender leaves are boat shaped and that is where you place the filling.
A very tasty way of cleaning out your fridge and pantry. I love all the amount of veggies that goes into the wrap. I used local butter-head lettuce to round up this delicious and healthy lunch. Thank you.
Made this as a one serve to late on Saturday for Sunday lunch on an all day 4x4 outing. I did sub spring onion (scallion) for the red onion and used both green and red capsicum for sweet red pepper and omitted the black olives as I'm not keen on and the chickpeas as I didn't want to open a large tin for such a small amount and couldn't see myself using the rest of the tin. i also used the mayo option which I flicked on top when I plated up, using what we call Cos lettuce. Thank you Uncle Bill, made for Healthy Choices ABC Tag.