Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
If you're on a low-carb diet but crave the taste of spaghetti try this one. It goes well on the spaghetti too if you've got family members who don't low-carb. Or serve it to everyone on spaghetti squash. You can use fresh vegetables instead of the frozen and canned ones but pre-steam the broccoli so that the squash won't overcook waiting for the broccoli to finish. Try additional vegetables such as snap peas, green peppers, mushrooms, asparagus, etc. as available or substitute ground turkey or bulk Italian sausage as desired.
- 2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1 -2 onion, chopped, to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and put through press
- 1 lb frozen broccoli florets
- 1 lb frozen yellow squash or 1 lb frozen zucchini, slices
- 1 (24 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed and lightly drained
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 12 ounces V8 vegetable juice (optional if you prefer a wetter, saucier texture) (optional) or 12 ounces tomato juice (optional if you prefer a wetter, saucier texture) (optional)
- salt and pepper
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Brown ground beef in a large, deep pan such as a dutch oven, with the onion and garlic. Drain excess grease.
- Add broccoli, squash, spinach, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and oregano.
- Bring to boil and simmer 10 minutes or until all vegetables are cooked to your taste.
- Add V8 if desired and bring to boil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve in bowls or atop spaghetti squash. Pass the parmesan and the crushed red pepper at the table.
Very good meal. Loved all the veggies. We made it just as written except we only used 16oz of spinach, ground turkey for the meat and after tasting, I doubled the Italian seasoning. BF and I had over spaghetti squash, DD had it with garlic bread...Unable to resist and had a bite of bread topped with the un-spaghetti...that was 5 stars! Very good flavor, and much enjoyed by all.