If you're on a low-carb diet but crave the taste of spaghetti try this one. It goes well on the spaghetti too if you've got family members who don't low-carb. Or serve it to everyone on spaghetti squash. You can use fresh vegetables instead of the frozen and canned ones but pre-steam the broccoli so that the squash won't overcook waiting for the broccoli to finish. Try additional vegetables such as snap peas, green peppers, mushrooms, asparagus, etc. as available or substitute ground turkey or bulk Italian sausage as desired.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1 -2 onion, chopped, to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and put through press
- 1 lb frozen broccoli florets
- 1 lb frozen yellow squash or 1 lb frozen zucchini, slices
- 1 (24 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed and lightly drained
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 12 ounces V8 vegetable juice (optional if you prefer a wetter, saucier texture) (optional) or 12 ounces tomato juice (optional if you prefer a wetter, saucier texture) (optional)
- salt and pepper
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1Brown ground beef in a large, deep pan such as a dutch oven, with the onion and garlic. Drain excess grease.
- 2Add broccoli, squash, spinach, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and oregano.
- 3Bring to boil and simmer 10 minutes or until all vegetables are cooked to your taste.
- 4Add V8 if desired and bring to boil.
- 5Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Serve in bowls or atop spaghetti squash. Pass the parmesan and the crushed red pepper at the table.
You Might Also Like...View All Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Un-Spaghetti
Serving Size: 1 (367 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 238.1
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 70.3 mg
- Sodium 377.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 31.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: