Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
a healthy salad , made in a curved tortilla shell, with a red pepper slice as the umbrella handle.
- 6 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 6 cups torn fresh spinach
- 1 1⁄2 cups cubed cooked ham
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup cubed cheddar cheese
- 3 slices red onions, separated into rings
- 6 sweet red peppers, slices (1/4 inch thick)
- 6 pitted ripe olives
- salad dressing, of your choice
- Place six (10 ounce) custard cups upside down in a shallow baking pan and set aside.
- Brush both sides of tortillas with butter, place in a single layer on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake uncovered at 400 degrees for 1 minute.
- Place a tortilla over each custard cup, pinching sides to form a bowl shape.
- Bake 7-8 minutes or until crisp.
- Remove tortillas from cups, and cool.
- Combine spinach, ham, mushrooms, cheese, and onion, place about 1 cup in each bowl.
- For the umbrella handle, cut off a curved end from each red pepper slice, and insert straight end into olive.
- Place in center of salad , and arrange salad ingredientsto hold handle upright.
- Serve with dressing.
The tortilla bowls are so cute. My son was really impressed with this recipe. And he liked the salad but we didn't tell him it was spinach. I omitted the mushrooms and onions. I used ranch dressing. Thanks Dough :) Made for 123 hit wonders
This was a nice salad with a pretty presentation. Diced the red pepper. Omitted the meat and most of the cheese, as this was accompanying an entree, but with it this would have made a main dish salad. Used baby spinach leaves, as I think those work better in salads.
Wonderful salad and would be great to make for wedding or baby showers!!! I made this as written with a few changes. I made it for 4 salads and used bacon for the ham and used mozzarella cheese and omitted the red onion as I used my Recipe #228781 dressing, which already had onion in it. I took it for a dinner at my cousin's house and it was a hit. Could also see adding garlic or other seasoning to the butter prior to coating the tortillas!! Thanks for sharing this great salad recipe. Made for PRMR.