1/1 Photo of Ultimate Monte Cristo
This is one of my apopted recipes that I haven't tried yet. I'll post updates when I do.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Batter
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup club soda
- 1 1/2 cups dark beer
For the Sandwiches
- 6 slices white bread or 6 slices whole wheat sourdough bread, each buttered on one side
- 6 ounces gruyere cheese, sliced into 18 1/16 inch thick slices
- 8 ounces smoked ham, such as black forest, sliced into 9 1/16 inch thick slices
- 8 ounces roast turkey meat, sliced into 9 1/16 inch thick slices
- 5 tablespoons strawberry jam, plus
- extra strawberry jam, to serve on the side
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1To make the Batter: In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, cayenne, and salt.
- 2Whisk in the club soda and beer.
- 3The mixture should be the consistency of pancake batter.
- 4Refrigerate until you're ready to use it.
- 5To assemble the Sandwiches: Set half of the slices buttered side down, and cover with the cheese slices, folding them over if they extend past the edges.
- 6Layer the ham and turkey over the cheese, and spread the jam over the turkey.
- 7Place the top slice of bread on, buttered side up.
- 8Grill the sandwiches on both sides.
- 9Pour the oil into a deep heavy-duty saucepan to fill it halfway.
- 10Heat the oil to 350°F (175°C), measuring the temperature on a deep-fat thermometer.
- 11Cut the sandwiches on a diagonal into thirds, to make 9 triangular pieces.
- 12Stir the batter.
- 13Dip each sandwich piece into the batter, thoroughly coating it.
- 14Fry the pieces 2 or 3 at a time, being careful not to overcrowd them in the pan.
- 15Cook them for about 3 minutes on each side, until they're nicely browned, and transfer to a paper towel to drain.
- 16Allow the oil to come back up to temperature before you fry the next batch of sandwiches.
- 17Place the sandwiches on a platter.
- 18Sift a very heavy layer of powdered sugar over them, and serve with a side of jam.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ultimate Monte Cristo
Serving Size: 1 (1934 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 442.6
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 56.6 mg
- Sodium 1371.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 14.6 g
- Protein 21.5 g