Recipe by ~Nimz~
This is one of my apopted recipes that I haven't tried yet. I'll post updates when I do.
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
wow this is some extreme sandwich ;-) my DH absolutely loved this! didn't have gruyere cheese so I used provolone, great recipe Nimz, thanks for sharing hon!...Kitten:)
For the Batter
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup club soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups dark beer
For the Sandwiches
- 6 slices white bread or 6 slices whole wheat sourdough bread, each buttered on one side
- 6 ounces gruyere cheese, sliced into 18 1/16 inch thick slices
- 8 ounces smoked ham, such as black forest, sliced into 9 1/16 inch thick slices
- 8 ounces roast turkey meat, sliced into 9 1/16 inch thick slices
- 5 tablespoons strawberry jam, plus
- extra strawberry jam, to serve on the side
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the Batter: In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, cayenne, and salt.
- Whisk in the club soda and beer.
- The mixture should be the consistency of pancake batter.
- Refrigerate until you're ready to use it.
- To assemble the Sandwiches: Set half of the slices buttered side down, and cover with the cheese slices, folding them over if they extend past the edges.
- Layer the ham and turkey over the cheese, and spread the jam over the turkey.
- Place the top slice of bread on, buttered side up.
- Grill the sandwiches on both sides.
- Pour the oil into a deep heavy-duty saucepan to fill it halfway.
- Heat the oil to 350°F (175°C), measuring the temperature on a deep-fat thermometer.
- Cut the sandwiches on a diagonal into thirds, to make 9 triangular pieces.
- Stir the batter.
- Dip each sandwich piece into the batter, thoroughly coating it.
- Fry the pieces 2 or 3 at a time, being careful not to overcrowd them in the pan.
- Cook them for about 3 minutes on each side, until they're nicely browned, and transfer to a paper towel to drain.
- Allow the oil to come back up to temperature before you fry the next batch of sandwiches.
- Place the sandwiches on a platter.
- Sift a very heavy layer of powdered sugar over them, and serve with a side of jam.