1 hr 15 mins
This is another one of those recipes where I hated this dessert my whole life and was then challenged to come up with a formula for it that I DID like. Here it is - I still don't care for banana cream pie - but this one, I crave sometimes. It's rich without being too sweet, the rum and lime juice give it zip, and the chocolate sauce just adds that last punch! I guarantee you won't have any left if you make one. Please don't substitute or leave ingredients out of this recipe. Everything listed is crucial to the final product.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 piece vanilla beans (4-inch) or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1For the PASTRY CREAM: Place the yolks, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl and whisk until blended.
- 2Stir in the cornstarch.
- 3Heat the milk and vanilla bean (if using) to scalding in a heavy saucepan.
- 4SLOWLY whisk the milk into the eggs, whisking the eggs constantly.
- 5This is called"tempering".
- 6Start out with just a thin stream of milk, constantly whisking, then as the eggs warm up you can add the milk faster.
- 7You need to do this slowly at first to avoid scrambling the yolks.
- 8If you do that, you have to start over.
- 9Remove the vanilla bean and pour the yolk mixture back into the pot and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens- about 3-5 minutes.
- 10Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the cream and the vanilla extract (if using).
- 11Pass the cream through a fine mesh strainer (very important to do!!!), then place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming.
- 12Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to chill.
- 13Will keep several days in the refrigerator.
- 14Make the CHOCOLATE SAUCE: Coarsely chop the chocolate and place in a stainless steel bowl.
- 15Heat the cream until scalding, pour over the chocolate.
- 16Let sit 5 minutes before stirring.
- 17Stir with a whisk until very smooth.
- 18Serve sauce warm, or refrigerate for later use.
- 19This will keep for several weeks in the refrigerator.
- 20MAKE THE PIE: Toss the bananas with the rum and the lime juice- set aside.
- 21Spread about 3/4 cup of the pastry cream in the pie shell.
- 22Layer the bananas evenly over the top, then cover with the remaining pastry cream.
- 23Whip the cream to soft peaks, the gently fold in the cream fraiche.
- 24Spread this mixture over the top of the pastry cream and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 25Serve with warm chocolate sauce drizzled over the top.
- 26NOTE: This pie doesn't keep well.
- 27You can prepare the pastry cream, chocolate sauce, pie shell all ahead of time, but assemble the pie no earlier than the morning of the day you plan to serve it and keep it refrigerated.
- 28I've never had leftovers so I don't know how long it keeps after cutting!
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ultimate Banana Cream Pie
Serving Size: 1 (2453 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4848.4
- Calories from Fat 3062
- Total Fat 340.3 g
- Saturated Fat 177.5 g
- Cholesterol 2554.3 mg
- Sodium 1717.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 398.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.6 g
- Sugars 211.8 g
- Protein 71.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: