Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
- shortbread (prepared from another recipe, I recommend Shortbread Crust)
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 3 large eggs, Separated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, Granulated
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon rind, Grated
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Press the cottage cheese through a sieve and drain.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks until light and foamy, then add the sugar slowly, continuing to beat until very light and smooth.
- Add the cottage cheese to the egg mixture, blending well, then add the sour cream, cornstarch, lemon rind, and walnuts (if desired).
- Stir until all ingredients are well blended and the mixture is smooth.
- In another large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks, then gently fold them into the batter.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared crust and bake for about 1 hour.
- Cool to room temperature before serving.