Ukrainian Easter Cheesecake (Syrnyk)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 2 large egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 large egg white, beaten with a little water for glaze
- 2 tablespoons pearl sugar or 2 tablespoons coarsely crushed sugar cubes
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1 cup farmer cheese (not in container but wrapped in paper) or 1 cup ricotta cheese (not in container but wrapped in paper)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (divided)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 large egg whites
- MAKE THE PASTRY. In a food processor or a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the butter and process, or cut in, until the mixture is the consistency of coarse crumbs.
- In another bowl, mix the egg yolks, sour cream, and lemon zest. Add to the flour mixture and process or mix just until the dough holds together. Press the dough into a ball, then remove one-quarter of the dough. Wrap the two pieces separately in plastic wrap and chill for 10 minutes.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 9 or 10 inch springform pan. Remove the larger portion of dough from the refrigerator and on a lightly floured surface, roll out to about 1/4 inch thick (see Note). Using the pan as a guide, cut a circle of dough and fit it into the bottom of the pan. Cut the remaining rolled out dough into 2-inch strips and "patch" them around the sides of the pan to cover, pressing them against the pan so they stay in place. Seal the edges around the bottom of the pastry. Refrigerate while preparing the filling.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- FOR THE FILLING, place the raisins in a small bowl and cover with hot water. Let stand for a few minutes until plumped, then drain. Beat the farmer cheese, or ricotta cheese, egg yolks, and 1/4 cup of the sugar in a large bowl until fluffy. Add the vanilla, lemon zest and juice, and the raisins.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites with the remaining 1/4 cup sugar until stiff and fold into the filling batter. Pour into the prepared pastry shell and spread evenly.
- Roll out the reserved dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness and cut into 1/2 inch strips that are 9 or 10 inches long, depending on the diameter of the pan. Arrange the pastry strips on top of the filling, weaving them into a latticework pattern. Crimp the edges of the pastry together to seal.
- FOR THE TOPPING, brush with the egg white mixture and sprinkle with the sugar.
- Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes, until the filling is set an the crust is pale golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Makes 12 to 16 servings.
- NOTE: An easy way to roll out a sticky dough such as this is to place it between two sheets of plastic wrap. If the dough seems too sticky or soft to lift from the plastic put it into the freezer for one or two minutes, until it stiffens, then peel of one part of the plastic wrap and lift the dough up from the second sheet of plastic.
- If you use ricotta cheese in a container then drain in a strainer until liquid drains out.
- Festive Ukrainian Cooking.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!