Recipe by Ma Field
I became intrigued with the multiple dumpling recipes on the web and combined a few that sounded particularly good for this version. I'll be really honest and say that I cannot guarantee authenticity. But any recipe that starts with stale bread gets bonus points in my book! You can use any stale bread you like - the heartier the better. Have these as a main dish with a nice sauce or gravy, or serve them in a bowl of soup or broth. For ZWT6 Austria
- 3 stale kaiser rolls
- 3⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 slices speck, diced (smoked bacon)
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 -4 tablespoons flour
- cracked black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry the speck in a small pan until just beginning to brown. Add garlic and onion. Saute until speck is crisp and onions are translucent. Add chopped spinach. remove from heat and set aside.
- Dice kaiser rolls into small cubes. Place in large bowl with yogurt and milk. Add eggs and melted butter. Mix well.
- Add speck/spinach mixture, parsley, flour, salt and pepper.
- Mix well until all components are blended. Your hands are the best tool for this.
- Set bowl aside an allow mixture to rest 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Shape mixture into dumplings the size of golf balls.
- Drop into boiling water, one at a time so the water stays boiling.
- Cook until dumplings rise to the surface.
- Serve immediately.