Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I worked with Ty and he loved the chili from the Cellar Door in Houston,"a bowl of red". His wife came up with this recipe.
- In large dutch oven, sauté onion and garlic in oil.
- Add ground beef and cook till no longer pink.
- Add 1/4 cup water and other ingredients and simmer one hour or more covered, stirring frequently.
- Garnish with choice of grated cheese, chopped green onion and serve with soda or oyster crackers or corn bread.
- In Texas, we leave out the beans.
- Midwesteners may add spaghetti or rice (no kidding).
good an will try again
We've been making this recipe for over a year now and I can't believe I forgot to review it. Following the recipe to the letter, this is incredible! Over the year, we've adjusted the recipe a tad to account for kid tastes. We use the lesser amount of chili powder and omit the beans, rice, and spaghetti, which Chuckster indicates is optional. We have been adding a 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and about 2 Tbs. of honey to mellow the crushed red pepper a bit. The kids like the heat, but the sharpness was a bit hard for them. We also add in about a cup of roasted red peppers. It's a regular meal for us and requested very often at our house. Thank you for posting this and thanks to Ty Cobb's wife for creating the recipe.