Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili (Vegetarian)
photo by Starrynews
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 lime, zest and juice of
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained (or 6 cups freshly cooked)
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 lime, cut into wedges (optional -- for garnish)
- 1 cup chopped cilantro leaf, washed and dried (optional -- for garnish)
- Warm the oil in a large pan over medium heat and add the onion, red pepper, garlic, and salt. Saute until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato and lime zest, cook 10-15 minutes more, continuing to stir occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes, black beans, jalapeno, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, and cocoa; bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
- OR omit the oil, throw everything in a crock pot, and cook on high for 6 hours.
- Serve over brown rice with lime wedges and cilantro.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made this last week and had it with cornbread. I was seriously looking forward to tasting it the next day. Unfortunately, later that night I was taken to the hospital in the ambulance (unrelated to the chili ;) ), and my husband finished it off before I came home! LOL Today, I am making it again and once again look forward to having it the second day. I cannot imagine that it could possibly be better than it was the first time last week, but...if it is, WOW!!! BTW, I made my own chili beans by soaking then cooking 2 cups of dry black beans. Soak overnight and cook for at least an hour with a mixture of thyme, cayenne pepper, chili powder, and salt. They really added to the wonderful taste.
Fantastic, I'm so pleased I tried this. Great flavour combination, just the right amount, not overpowering the beans or yam. I made as written but left out most of the 'heat', let people add hot sauce on the side. I used yam instead of sweet potato, and was pleased that it didn't break apart very much. Everyone liked the lime flavour a lot. Planning to triple this recipe and serve it for a big function in a few weeks. Thanks for introducing me to this Prose!
see 5 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/451456/Paula+Grad+18.JPG I'm a grad student and also teach at two different schools, so I need some fast/easy recipes. I try to eat vegan, and most of my creations are also gluten-free because my husband is Diabetic/Celiac. I don't post any recipes I have not personally tried and liked.