Recipe by gailanng
For your Twix fix. The prep time is based on the microwave method of cooking the caramel. This is a 'cookie' recipe, not the exact clone of a Twix.
Top Review by Chef1MOM-Connie
Boy did I mess up this recipe gailanng was great getting back to me and it seems my chocolate must have been bad as it kept seizing. So for the remainder of the recipe, EXCELLENT! I used the microwave method to do the caramel, the shortbread tasted wonderful, the chocolate was my enemy this time. I cannot believe I am saying this. With all that said, I did end up borrowing some chocolate from a neighbor who happened to call to check on me. I was so upset she brought some over from up the hill so I could finish this up. I then used the double boiler method for the chocolate and then it seemed to come together better. Taste wise it is not the candy bar but it is good! DH will be thrilled. Pictures to follow
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 -14 ounce sweetened condensed milk
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (can sub milk chocolate)
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 350 degrees. Grease with butter a 9x9" baking pan.
- In bowl of electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla extract. Add flour and salt and beat until the dough just comes together. Press onto the bottom of a greased pan. Bake about 20 minutes or until pale golden in color. Remove from oven and place on rack to cool.
- CARAMEL FILLING:.
- Pour the can of sweetened condensed milk into a heatproof bowl and place bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Cover and cook, over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 60 to 90 minutes or until the milk has thickened and has turned a caramel color. Remove from heat and beat until smooth. Pour the caramel over the baked shortbread and leave to set.
- (Microwave method: Place sweetened condensed milk in a large microwaveable bowl and cook on medium power for about 4 minutes, stirring halfway through baking time. Reduce the power to medium-low and continue to cook for another 8 - 12 minutes, or until the milk has thickened and turned a light caramel color. Remove from microwave and beat until smooth).
- Melt chocolate and butter either in the microwave oven or in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Pour the melted chocolate evenly over the caramel and leave to set. Cut the shortbread in to pieces using a sharp knife.
- Store cut bars in refrigerator to keep chocolate firm. Chilled chocolate doesn't cut clean.