Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a tweaked recipe from a family friend. It's awesome and makes a huge serving; perfect for potlucks. If not eating immediately, I put the cheese, onion and lettuce in a ziploc bag, the chopped tomatoes in a separate bag and keep the meat warm in a carrier [I like to keep it warm], then I assemble just before time to eat..mixing together and adding chips and dressing. I HATE soggy Dorito taco salad, so this fits the bill. My most requested "bring a dish" recipe!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef, browned and drained
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 5 roma tomatoes, diced
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 14 1⁄2 ounces Fritos corn chips
- 1 (16 ounce) bottle western salad dressing
- garlic salt
- Brown ground beef in skillet and drain. Season with garlic salt to taste.
- Add chopped lettuce, chopped and seeded tomatoes, cheese and onion to big bowl.
- If eating immediately, add warm ground beef to salad mixture.
- Just before serviing mix in Fritos and Western Salad Dressing. Be sure to mix carefully and don't dump the entire bottle of dressing in at once. You want to lightly coat with the dressing, not drown the salad in it. I always leave a little on the side if someone wants more.
Why is this called "twisted taco salad". Sounds like the same old taco salad.