Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Just like your childhood treat!
- 16 ounces golden poundcake mix
- 4 egg whites
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 drops lemon extract
- Note: You will need a spice bottle (about the size of a twinkie) and twelve 12x14 inch pieces of aluminum foil.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Fold each piece of foil in half twice. Wrap around spice bottle and fold up sides to create a mold. Leave the top open to pour in batter. Make 12 of these molds and arrange on a cookie sheet. Grease the inside of each with cooking spray.
- Disregard the baking instructions on the cake mix box. Instead, beat the egg whites until stiff. Combine with cake mix and water and beat until thoroughly blended (about 2 mins).
- Pour batter into molds filling each about 3/4 inch. Bake in oven for about 30 minutes or until cake is golden brown.
- Cream butter and shortening. Slowly add the sugars while beating. Add the evaporated milk, vanilla and lemon extracts. Mix on medium speed until completely smooth and fluffy. When the cakes are cooled, use a toothpick to make three small holes in the bottom of each one. Move the toothpick around inside of each cake to make room for filling.
- Use a pastry bag or ziploc bag and inject each cake with filling through all three holes.
- If you like, sprinkle powdered sugar on each.