Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
I love this flavourful variation on the usual twice baked potatoes. It looks bright and colourful too. The pine nuts provide a lovely nuttiness and texture but they can be left out if they are not to your liking.
- 4 baking potatoes
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1⁄2 cup cream cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- Bake the potatoes in the oven for about an hour, until the skins are firm and the centre is soft.
- Meanwhile, chop the cherry tomatoes into eighths and set aside. Add the grated mozzarella, chopped basil and pine nuts.
- When the potatoes are cooked, remove from the oven. Halve them lengthways and scoop out the majority of the flesh with a spoon. Be very careful not to tear the skin- leave a quarter inch of flesh still in the skin to provide a firm shell.
- Lightly mash with a fork the flesh that has been removed from the skins. Mix in the cream cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the mozzarella and tomato mixture to the mashed potato and scoop back into the shells.
- Place on a foil-covered baking tray and bake for 5-10 minutes, until the filling is hot and beginning to turn golden.
- Serve hot!
In a word: DELICIOUS. Wonderfully creamy, so flavoursome, and we loved the crunch from the pine nuts. I followed Karen Elizabeth's suggestion and added some basil pesto and 'cos I just have to include garlic, I added a heaped teaspoon of minced garlic in step 6. We enjoyed these with Recipe #381211 and Recipe #121093, which prompted me to think that next time I make these I'm going to try them with mushrooms instead of tomatoes. They'd also be great with spinach. Thank you so much for sharing this fabulous recipe, which I look forward to playing with some more. Made for PRMR.
There is a great recipe brewing here! The lovely potato meets the farm-fresh tomato, the little sweet basil leaf, and pine nuts! The grated mozzarella over the top really put this in another dimension altogether! Extremely tasty, quick, and all tastes meld together perfectly. I added a bit of fresh chives to the top when it was done baking. Made for *Everyday is a Holiday* July 2009
Very much enjoyed, and so easy that I wonder why I don't do this more often, note to self, do this more often!!!! Family were very appreciative and the potatoes were delicious! I didn't have cherry tomatoes, so I chopped up a large tomato instead. I did use pine nuts, and they really do contribute positively to this tasty dish! I added a little basil pesto too... Thank you for encouraging me to add something new to our supper menus!