Recipe by Shuzbud
I love this flavourful variation on the usual twice baked potatoes. It looks bright and colourful too. The pine nuts provide a lovely nuttiness and texture but they can be left out if they are not to your liking.
Top Review by bluemoon downunder
In a word: DELICIOUS. Wonderfully creamy, so flavoursome, and we loved the crunch from the pine nuts. I followed Karen Elizabeth's suggestion and added some basil pesto and 'cos I just have to include garlic, I added a heaped teaspoon of minced garlic in step 6. We enjoyed these with Recipe #381211 and Recipe #121093, which prompted me to think that next time I make these I'm going to try them with mushrooms instead of tomatoes. They'd also be great with spinach. Thank you so much for sharing this fabulous recipe, which I look forward to playing with some more. Made for PRMR.
- 4 baking potatoes
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1⁄2 cup cream cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- Bake the potatoes in the oven for about an hour, until the skins are firm and the centre is soft.
- Meanwhile, chop the cherry tomatoes into eighths and set aside. Add the grated mozzarella, chopped basil and pine nuts.
- When the potatoes are cooked, remove from the oven. Halve them lengthways and scoop out the majority of the flesh with a spoon. Be very careful not to tear the skin- leave a quarter inch of flesh still in the skin to provide a firm shell.
- Lightly mash with a fork the flesh that has been removed from the skins. Mix in the cream cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the mozzarella and tomato mixture to the mashed potato and scoop back into the shells.
- Place on a foil-covered baking tray and bake for 5-10 minutes, until the filling is hot and beginning to turn golden.
- Serve hot!