Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
A traditional French recipe. Posted for ZWT5.
Make and share this Twelfth Night Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb puff pastry
- 4 1⁄2 ounces almonds, ground finely
- 3 1⁄2 ounces sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 ounces butter (unsalted)
- 3 ounces milk
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 pinch vanilla bean seeds
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- To prepare the cream, beat the 2 eggs with the sugar; add the cornstarch mixed with the milk and incorporate it. Simmer this mixture while whisking for a few minutes; it will thicken. Once thickened, turn the heat off and add the butter in small cubes, then the almonds and vanilla powder, and then the rum. Mix well.
- Mix the egg yolk with 1 Tbs. milk.
- Place one disk of the puff pastry on a buttered oven sheet; evenly spread the cream on it up to 1/2 inch of the edge; spread the border with a little of the yolk/milk mixture. Cover with the second disk of puff pastry and press the edges to close it up. Decorate with a knife to make designs on the pastry, if desired. Brush the top with the yolk/milk mixture.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. Serve warm.