Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A good substitute for expensive Boca and Morning Star "beef" crumbles.
- 2 cups textured vegetable protein
- 2 cups boiling water
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons oil
- Bring water to boil in a saucepan.
- Add bouillon, sugar, Liquid Smoke (opt), and 1 tsp oil.
- Add TVP®, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Turn off heat, and let stand 5 minutes.
- Drain any excess liquid.
- Heat 2 tsps oil in a frying pan. Add TVP®, and saute` until lightly browned. Cool completely in fridge.
- Pack into ziplock freezer bags, and freeze. Be sure to freeze them flat.
- As soon as they are frozen, break the flat blocks into smaller pieces.
- Keep them in the freezer, and take out as much or as little as needed.
- Use crumbles in recipes in place of cooked, browned hamburger meat.
I will post again when I've tried it, but it sounds good and I refuse to pay the high prices for meat substitutes when there HAS to be a way to make things myself. I am still on the prowl for a good burger recipe that tastes like the store bought burgers w/o meat. I will be back!! ;)