Recipe by Celeste :)
Crowned with a luscious cream cheese topping, these fancy-looking muffins are surefire crowd pleasers. HINT: Natural cocoa powder is also called non alkalized cocoa powder. Hershey's Cocoa is natural cocoa powder.
- 8 ounces fat free cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup mini chocolate chip
- 1 cup unbleached flour or 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup 2% buttermilk
- 1 (2 1/2 ounce) jar prune baby food
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- TO MAKE THE TOPPING: Place the cream cheese, sugar, and flour in a bowl. Using an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat until mixed. Add the egg whites and beat just until blended. Fold in the chocolate chips. Set aside.
- TO MAKE THE MUFFINS: Preheat the oven to 350°F; lightly coat 18 muffin cups with nonstick spray or line with paper liners (if using two 12-cup muffin pans, fill the empty cups with water).
- In a large bowl, combine the unbleached or all-purpose flour, sugar, whole wheat flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, prunes, and egg whites. Scrape into the well in the flour mixture. Stir just until moistened. Fold in the walnuts.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups. Top each muffin with about 1 tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture. Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until the cream cheese begins to turn golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool in the pans on a rack for 5 minutes. Invert onto the rack and serve warm or at room temperature.