Recipe by Lainey39
This recipe was published in a recent issue of Good Housekeeping as one of Valerie Bertinelli's favorite soups. It is very healthy and I'm sure you could substitute or add other veggies. It really hits the spot and is filling. I double the recipe.
Top Review by JackieOhNo!
This was actually surprisingly tasty! I thought it was going to be a bit bland but, I made it exactly as posted (except I added some vegetable broth because it needed more liquid), and it turned out excellent! You also don't feel guilty at all eating this. Thanks for sharing this. Made for PRMR Tag Game.
- 1 1⁄4 cups peeled eggplants, cubed
- 1 cup water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added whole tomatoes, chopped and drained (juices reserved)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed with press
- 3⁄4 cup zucchini, coarseley chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- In 2-quart saucepan, place eggplant, water, tomatoes with their juices, mushrooms, garlic, zucchini, Italian seasoning, 1/4 t salt and 1/8 t freshly ground black pepper; stir to combine.
- Heat to boiling on high.
- Cover; reduce heat to low.
- Simmer 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- To serve, ladle soup into 4 shallow soup bowls; sprinkle with Parmesan.