Recipe by Heart 'N Soul
I'm tempted to call these "hidden bars" because they are the one bar that I have to hide if I don't want them to vanish! They are my most requested bar recipe and come from the "Great American Chocolate Cookbook"
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) box German chocolate cake mix, with pudding
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 2⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 (14 ounce) package caramels
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecans, chopped
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Unwrap carames, set aside.
- Combine cake mix, margarine and 1/3 cup evaporated milk in bowl; mix well. Lightly press half the mixture into a 9 X 13 baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 6 minutes.
- Melt caramels and 1/3 cup evaporated milk in saucepan, stirring frequently.
- Sprinkle half the pecans over baked layer. Top with caramel mixture then all of the chocolate chips. Scatter remaining dough in small amounts on top of caramel. (you will have some open spots showing caramel and chips).
- Sprinkle with remaining pecans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Cool, cut bars while slightly warm.