Kitty Kat Cook's Note:
Turron is a product I grew up eating during Christmas time. It's a hard candy confection made out of caramel and almonds. There are other kinds out there, soft, chewy, etc. I used to be able to buy it at the store, but sometimes it's hard to find. The oblea might be hard to find, check in the international isle at your local store. This is mainly sold in Spain. You can also try my recipe for obleas if you have the time.(Convert to US measurements if needed) Enjoy
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Beat egg whites until they're white and fluffy.
- 2Boil the honey over medium-high heat until it becomes a thick caramel-consistency.
- 3Mix the honey and the egg whites.
- 4Continue to beat this mixture with a wooden spoon (wooden spoons are best for candies and sweets).
- 5Add the vanilla extract and cook with the double boiler method.
- 6note: If you don't have a double boiler available, place a medium-sized pot inside a slightly bigger and deeper pot, fill the bigger pot with water so that the smaller one is halfway submerged.
- 7Continue stirring until you achieve a caramel consistency.
- 8In a separate pot over high heat cook the sugar, corn syrup and the water until you obtain a caramel.
- 9Once you have the caramel add the other mixture and the almonds.
- 10You have 2 options for assembly:.
- 11Grease a working surface.
- 12Place the mixture and roll out with a rolling pin, shape to your liking.
- 13(it's usually sold in a rectangle shape).
- 14Let it cool.
- 15Or if you find the oblea cover a rectangular baking sheet with the oblea.
- 16Roll out the mixture and let it cool.
- 17break into pieces.
- 18When cooled the candy should be really hard.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turron De Alicante / Almond Nougat
Serving Size: 1 (283 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 691.8
- Calories from Fat 285
- Total Fat 31.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 46.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 95.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 85.2 g
- Protein 16.2 g