Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This savory recipe can also be made with zucchini or yellow squash instead of eggplant. Points 1.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 4 small eggplants, stems removed, cut in half lengthwise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray large shallow baking dish with cooking spray.
- Scoop out flesh from eggplants, cut into chunks and reserve.
- Sprinkle inside of eggplant shells evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Place upside down on paper towels; let stand 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spray large skillet with cooking spray.
- Cook garlic and onion over medium-high heat until browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, reserved eggplant flesh and allspice.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until eggplant is just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in parsley, lemon juice, remaining salt and pepper.
- Pat eggplant shells dry with paper towels.
- Spoon eggplant mixture loosely into shells.
- Place filled shells in prepared baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake until shells are tender, about 40 minutes.
- Remove foil; sprinkle tops evenly with feta cheese.
- Bake for 10 more minutes, then serve.